Thursday, July 4, 2013

Radcliffe is slow but spectacular reading

I'm loving The Romance of the Forest but I'm taking soooo long to read it. I'm so far behind in reading these 1123 books that I don't think I'll ever be able to catch up. Not even in the 30 years I already expected this to take.

I had planned for five days per book. I'm now something like five weeks into the exercise and I'm only on book three. Yikes.

But, on the other hand, this Ann Radcliffe has been a revelation. These books are fun. And exciting.

And they are an interesting look, melodramatic as they are, into the 18th century. The plight of Adeline in this book is just crazy by modern standards. She's smart, beautiful, virtuous, apparently hard-working. And yet, because of society's rigid approach to gender roles and gender opportunities, she is completely incapable of addressing the challenges that face her without help from others.

From men.

As Radcliffe so powerfully presents, Adeline must obtain protection from either her abusive father, the spineless LaMott or any young man to whom she might agree to become wed. And her virtue won't allow her to marry in haste, or for improper motives.

Other than that, no hope at all. She can't just go out a find a job. She can't move in with a group of women for mutual support. She can't set up her own business.

Oh yes, she can always return to the convent and live out her life there.

But it's a pretty dismal set of options, don't you think? Her entire future is entirely dependent on the whims of the men she encounters.

I'm halfway through and, though I know how it will eventually end (with Adeline happily married to her chosen young man), I'm fascinated to experience all the barriers she will have to overcome to get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think: about this blog, about the books I'm reading; about the books you're reading. Goodness knows, I need more things to read!