Saturday, July 20, 2013

A woman so ridiculous

Yes, I'm still on book four. But at least it's making me laugh out loud.

Charlotte Lennox's The Female Quixote is turning into a really fun read, one that is getting me strange looks on the city bus when I suddenly break out laughing.

I'm quite enchanted by the fact that Mr. Glanville is completely mortified that he's fallen in love with a woman who is so completely out of touch with reality and yet remains completely incapable of escaping her charms.

Best line so far: "Mr. Glanville was still in terrible Confusion, and silently cursed his ill Fate, to make him in Love with a Woman so ridiculous."

And, even better, Lennox has now introduced a rival to Mr. Glanville for Arabella's affections, Sir George, who not only understands Arabella's odd obsession with romance literature but also knows such literature well enough to present himself as one of its heroes.

It's hilarious.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think: about this blog, about the books I'm reading; about the books you're reading. Goodness knows, I need more things to read!