Sunday, July 14, 2013

Lennox's writing makes me wish for more

The Female Quixote is turning out to be a much easier read than expected. I've ripped through the first 50 pages in a very short time and, once again, am really enjoying it.

I was worried for the first couple of chapters that Lennox would allow her central character to roll through 400 pages without being challenged on her quixotic tendencies. I don't think I could have taken that. You want to shout at the other characters: "Come on, folks, take her on. Call her on that stuff."

Well, sooner than expected, she's done so. Cousin Glanville challenges Arabella at page 45 of the World Classic's Edition of the novel and it's really well presented.

I am already thinking I need to find more of Lennox's novels to read since I don't think we have any more in the house. Trouble, of course, since I really don't need to add more to the reading list. And that's one of the real challenges of my commitment here: there are so many books already here that I really can't pursue any interests that crop up along the way. I can't go out and find more of Ann Radcliffe's novels, even though I thought the two I read were just fantastic, and now I have to content myself with just this one by Charlotte Lennox.

Yes, I'm mourning the loss of Lennox even before I've finished the first 100 pages of the first of her books I've ever seen.

One thing that I'm really liking about The Female Quixote is that Lennox never allows her character to become ridiculous. Arabella is presented with kindness and compassion; she is quixotic but never silly. And that's important to keeping this novel interesting: Lennox's sympathetic portrayal of her main character makes the book worth reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think: about this blog, about the books I'm reading; about the books you're reading. Goodness knows, I need more things to read!