Sunday, June 23, 2013

Oh happy day! A farewell to the Italian

To quote Paulo, "O! giorno felice!"

I have finished reading Ann Radcliffe's gothic romance, The Italian.

One down, 1122 to go. And it only took me two weeks to read. Ouch.

Great book, however. I very much enjoyed it. Once I got the hang of the genre and the strategies it entails, I really got caught up in the story, the characters and especially Radcliffe's vivid descriptions of the settings. Wonderfully written, with plenty of Shakespearean tropes thrown in.

After despairing that I was only reading about four pages per day of this extremely dense, 400-page book (it is, in fact, a collection of the three books in the original trilogy), I decided I had to batten down the hatches and get reading.

And I have to say, Racliffe reads much better when you take a couple of hours per sitting to sink deeply into her world. I would highly recommend this book to anyone out there. It's a neat introduction to 18th Century writing, to gothic romances and to reading in general.

Next up for me, book number 2: Yvonne Fern's Gene Roddenberry: The Last Conversation. This one should be a breeze after Radcliffe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think: about this blog, about the books I'm reading; about the books you're reading. Goodness knows, I need more things to read!