Wednesday, June 19, 2013

I'm enjoying the reading but life's getting in the way

I'm averaging about four pages per day on Ann Radcliffe's The Italian, book one in my 1123 book journey. That means this 410-page volume will take me approximately 102 days to finish.

At this rate, I'll be reading three to four books per year. Which means I'll finish my reading list when I'm well over 400 years old.

Hmmm... That doesn't seem like a good bet, does it?

I can't blame the book. It's great. I love the melodrama and the writing is superb. The Shakespearean references are a lot of fun and this Schedoni guy is fantastic.

It's just that my life right now doesn't leave a lot of time for reading. It's summer so I walk to and from work every day rather than spending 15 to 30 minutes each way sitting, reading, on a bus. I've also got stuff to do on my lunch hours so there goes some more prime reading time.

Evenings are spent outside in the garden, walking the dog or working on my own writing rather than curled up in front of the fire with a book under my nose.

So I'm at about four pages per day.

I'll get through, no doubt, but it will take time. My only hope is that, at other points in my life, I'll have a great deal more time and I'll start making up days. I mean, in winter time, with two bus trips and lunch hours spent indoors, I should just blow through books, shouldn't I?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think: about this blog, about the books I'm reading; about the books you're reading. Goodness knows, I need more things to read!